Places to visit:
Château d’Angers 13th century castle with beautiful gardens and holding the largest known medieval tapestry: Les Tapisseries de l’Apocalypse.
Château du Lude Stunning most northerly château de la Loire, testimony of four centuries of French architecture, with beautiful gardens.
Château de Durtal 11th century fortress embellished architecturally over the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. Supposedly the place where the massacre of Saint Bartholomew was instigated.
Château de Montgeoffroy Beautiful 18th century château – the interior period furniture is worth the detour.
Abbaye Saint-Pierre de Solemnes Leading centre for Gregorian chants in a beautiful 16th century Benedictine monastery.
Vignoble de la Tuffiere One of our favorite vineyards, La Tuffière produces a variety of anjou wines, that together with the underground troglodyte cellars and charming hosts make this a delightful wine tasting experience.
Carré Cointreau – Authentic Cointreau distillery.
Musée des 24 Heures du Mans – Race car museum, with automobile paraphernalia, films and photographs.
Musée Regional de l’Air
Airplane museum on an airfield near Angers.
Faïenceries d’Art de Malicorne
Artisanal atelier of refined earthenware.
Other things to see:
Zoo de La Flèche – Quite a large zoo, 1200 animals of 120 different species.
Dolmen de la Pierre Couverte – Neolithic megalithic tomb in an easy to walk to part of a forest.
Archaeological Site: Théâtre Gallo-Romain – 1st and 2nd century archaeological site with an amphitheater and market place.
Le Clocher Tors de Pontigné – One of the nicest of these odd european twisted steeples.
Le Grand Marché d’Angers – On Saturday morning.
Le Petit Marché du Dimanche (La Flèche) – On Sunday morning.
Things to do:
– Golf de Baugé – Beautiful golf course in Baugé.
– Le Mans Karting International – Outdoot Go Karting
– Inwall Kart – Indoor Karting
– USF Canoe Kayak – Canoe down the Loir from La Flèche.
– Parc Anjou Aventure – Ziplining, tree climbing and canoeing.
– Anjou Navigation– River boats for rent.
Horse riding and Polo:
– Les Ecuries de Baugé – Hacking and polo.
– Haras des Petits Essards – Hacking and polo.
– La Ferme du Tertre – Horse riding lessons and hacking.
– Centre Equestre les 2 Chênes – Horse riding lessons.