40 cl of milk
60 cl of heavy whipping cream
8 egg yolks
200 grams of castor sugar
2 vanilla beans
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until light and frothy
- Put milk and cream in pan. Split vanilla pods in half lengthwise, scrape seeds into milk and add the pods, then bring to a boil. Take off fire, cover and let the vanilla infuse for 10-20 minutes. This also allows the milk to cool down before adding it to the egg yolk mixture.
- Add this to the yolk/sugar mixture while beating slowly.
- Heat the mixture on medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Using a thermometer, keep at approximately 80 C making sure it does not go above as it would cook the egg yolks. Mixing all the time with a wooden spoon and lots of patience.
- Bring to nappe consistency, so it coats the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- This can be served hot or cold and can be prepared in advance and kept in refrigerator.