Fennel Parmesan Salad (Salade de Fenouil et Parmesan)
Very fresh fennel bulbs, as big as you can find.
Good quality Reggiano Parmesan cheese (not Grana Padano, not grated)
Fleur de Sel (or other good rock salt), I use Guerande
- Cut off the fine leafy tips and reserve.
- Slice Fennel bulb in half lengthwise, rinse and dry.
- Place the open sliced part down on cutting board and slice very thin, crosswise so that the fibers get cut with each slice.
- Keep the large slices separate from the smaller/greener branch slices for presentation purposes.
- Spread the larger slices first in a large flat dish, then the smaller branch slices on top.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel, quite generously, then squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the dish.
- Slice parmesan cheese paper thin and spread out over fennel.
- Then chop a little, or just break apart, the leafy tips and sprinke on the dish.