about 275 grams of good quality dark chocolat: minimum 70 % cocoa
(In order of preference…Valrhona, Lindt, Nestle)
about 275 grams of sugar
about 275 grams of butter
- Weigh the 4 eggs to define the weight of all other ingredients.
- Whatever they weigh is how much you need of each other ingredient. Eg: 4 french eggs weigh 275 grams.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper in a circle that will fit into the bottom of your cake pan, not up the sides.
- Butter the bottom of the pan and put the parchment paper. Then butter the parchment paper and the sides of pan and coat with powdered cocoa, this replaces using flour for when you de-pan.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and melt in a double boiler. When melted, add butter and gently mix until butter is melted then remove from heat and let cool.
- While chocolate is cooling, in 2 separate mixing bowls, separate egg whites and yolks.
- Beat egg whites until fluffy but not too dry.
- Add sugar to egg yolks and mix with beaters until light and a litlle frothy.
- Pour chocolate slowly into egg yolk mixture until just blended then gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes. The cake will rise slowly and when the center has risen and a knife comes out clean it’s done.
- Let cool a little and turn out carefully onto a flat surface, peel parchment paper off then turn back over onto cake dish.
Absolutely decadent served with Crème Anglaise!