4 big onions
50 grams of butter
2 TBSP of oil
1 TBSP of flour
25 cl of white wine
1 liter of water
salt and pepper
6 slices of white bread
100 grams of Comte cheese
Optional:1/2 cube of chicken bouillon for extra taste
- Chop onion into relatively small bits and brown in the butter and oil.
- (adding a little oil to butter prevents the butter from burning)
- When onions become translucent and slightly browned, add flour and let cook for 2 minutes more.
- Then add white wine and reduce.
- When there is almost no more liquid in the pan, add water (with chicken bouillon).
- Cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the bread and set in the bottom of the soup bowls.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese on top of the bread and pour the onion soup over this to fill the bowls, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and grill in the oven until cheese is golden brown.
You will need soup bowls that can go in the oven!