Salade Frisée aux Lardons
1 head of Chicory lettuce,
Lardons(thick slices of bacon cut in small strips-see image)
Eggs (1 or more)
- Wash and spin dry chicory, cut or tear into small bits and place in a large bowl to be able to mix with vinaigrette more easily.
- Fry up lardons (I keep the fat and pour over salad).
- Boil eggs to “soft-boiled”…. 4 1/2 – 5 minutes in a large pot of boiling water with a little vinegar. To prevent eggs shells from cracking, I pour lots of salt over them while carefully placing them in simmering water.
- Vinegar makes the egg white coagulate in case the shells do crack.
- While eggs are boiling, mix chicory with vinaigrette, place in serving bowl.
- This is best served in a large “open” bowl.
- Sprinkle lardons over the salad and drizzle fat over(optional).
- When eggs are cooked, hopefully just right, crack the shell in half, with a knife, and slice through the egg.
- Spoon out egg halves carefully and place on top of salad.
- Salt and pepper the eggs and serve immediately while eggs are still warm.